||The GCTU library system is an integral part of the educational process. It is to facilitate scholarship, research and development based on the utilization of knowledge. The library in any academic institution is the ‘heart’ of the learning community, providing a place for students and faculty to do their research and advance their knowledge.
Our Mission is to provide excellent information resources and deliver quality services and facilities to meet the research, teaching and learning needs of the University.
The vision of the GCTU library is to have a collection tailored to our students and faculty needs, exemplary service to all our patrons and an excellence in library service and substantially contributing to the intellectual activities of the university.
System of Cataloguing
The GCTU library is catalogued according to the Library of Congress classification system which combines letters with figures, as can be seen at the spine of the books on the shelves.
Functions of the Library
- To provide information resources and services responsive to the needs of all the sectors relative to curriculum and research
- Identify, locate, evaluate, select and subscribe to print and digital sources of information for the collection
- Collection Development: one of the primary functions of a university library. Books, Periodicals and electronic resources collected and processed for easy accessibility by users
- Ensure the efficient, effective and cohesive work performance of all sections in the library/system according to its main function as provider of information resources and services responsive to the needs of all the sectors relative to curriculum and research
- Perform variety of outreach functions such as staff/student orientation sessions
Goals of the Library
- To serve all members of the university community and the general public.
- To acquire and make available to all our patrons/users such books, periodicals, pamphlets, and other services as will address their needs to a) become well informed, b) locate answers to important questions, c) cultivate the imagination and creative expression, d) develop skills for career and vocational advancement, and e) enjoy leisure by means of reading and other media services.
- To acquire the means to provide the most frequently requested material locally and upon demand.
- To maintain a program of service which locates information, guides reading, organizes and interprets material for people of various backgrounds, and stimulates thinking and intellectual development in individuals of any age.
- To strive consistently to discover new methods and improvements for better service for the library’s customers
Sections & Resources in The Library
The library comprises two main sections: The Main library, which has over 4000 volumes of books, periodicals and other hard copy materials like ITU publications, and an E-library, which has over forty Internet enabled computers with access to online materials: books, journals etc. on all subjects.
Areas of Collection
- Information Technology/Computer Science
- General Studies
- Children’s literature/Fiction
- Reference Materials
- Online – Books and Journals
- Print – ITU publications, General (e.g. Newsweek, Time, Economist, Business), Donations from sister institutions
- Reference Materials – Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Year Books, Constitution
- Reserve Material