Circulation is the process of lending and/or borrowing of library materials, their return, recall, renewal, reservation and related activities.
Eligibility for Checking out Material
For a patron/user to qualify to borrow materials, he/she must be possess a valid GCTU Student or Staff ID card.
Patrons wishing to check out material must bring their respective GCTU ID cards with them. Failing to do so, such persons will be denied the privilege of checking out materials.
Patrons other than GCTU students and staff will not be allowed to borrow materials, they may however use the library for reference services only.
- A student may borrow two books at a time for two weeks.
- Generally, reference books do not circulate. Upon special arrangement, some reference materials may be checked out overnight
- Checked out books may be renewed once if no request for those particular books have been made
- Periodicals do not circulate
- One week for cassettes, audio books, and compact discs.
The librarian may establish the loan period for special collections or materials which are temporarily in great demand.
- Renewal requests are accepted for most books on the open shelves
- Renewals are granted unless the item has not been recalled, is needed for reserves, or has not been requested by another reader.
- Overdue materials are not renewable.
- Length of renewal depends upon the status of the borrower and type of material.
- All library materials that have been checked out are subject to recall
- For faculty members, material may be recalled two weeks after check out date, whilst material in the possession of students may be recalled after one week.
- Materials needed for course reserves may be recalled at any time.
- Failure to return a recalled item will result in a minimum fine of GH¢2.00 a day, and
suspension of borrowing privileges
Materials on reserve are those purposefully separated from the general collection;
- at the request of a lecturer
- because the copies of the particular title are few in number, and/or
- titles that are crucial to courses offered but are out of print
Reserve materials just like reference materials do not circulate, they are signed for, used in the library and returned to library staff after use.
Fines and Charges
Borrowers will be fined for not returning borrowed materials on the due dates. Fines are as stated on the table below. In addition to a fine, failure to respond to requests for the return of overdue materials will lead to suspension of library borrowing privileges for a period determined by the library committee. Fines are subject to upward review anytime, and patrons will be notified accordingly.
Damaged or Lost Material
Lost material should be promptly reported to the circulation desk. Borrowers losing or failing to return material, or returning material in damaged condition are subject to the following charges:
- A charge for a replacement copy and processing
- A clean copy of the same edition of the lost book may be accepted in lieu of the replacement cost, but the borrower will still be subject to the cost of processing.
- If materials are damaged so as to be judged by the library as being unsuitable for the collection, the patron/user must pay the replacement cost and a processing fee. A notice of these charges will be sent to the borrower.
Calendar for 2021/2022 Academic year (Freshmen-MAY-INTAKE)
Calendar for 2021/2022 Academic year (Freshmen AND Continuing students)
|Monday - Friday:||8:30am - 10:00pm|
|Saturday:||9:00am - 9:00pm|
|VACATION OPENING HOURS|
|Monday - Friday:||9:00am - 6:00pm|
|Saturday:||9:00am - 4:00pm|